Suzuki Teacher Training
What is Suzuki teacher training?
- In depth pedagogical study of teaching, especially of Suzuki piano repertoire
- Thorough coverage of all elements of teaching and managing a studio
- Observation of master teachers teaching students
- Discussion of teaching techniques including when and how to apply them
- Only systematic, detailed, thorough pedagogical training available anywhere
- More comprehensive, in-depth, hands-on, how-to than university study
What does Suzuki teacher training offer me?
- How to teach every child how to play piano beautifully
- Thorough understanding of teaching piano at any level
- New insights into your own piano technique
- Observation and detailed discussion of live teaching with a master teacher
- Many, many teaching ideas to use with students
- How to help students develop their abilities to the highest level
- Specific pedagogical breakdown of important details in teaching repertoire
- Cumulative learning techniques lthrough repertoire
- Increased knowledge and understanding of yourself as a teacher and musician
- How to manage parents, money, studio issues
- Supportive teaching community that actually shares ideas and techniques
- Access to Suzuki community, conferences, institutes, teacher discussions, parent education
What does Suzuki Unit training mean?
- Concentrated, in-depth study of one book of Suzuki repertoire
- Classroom study including lecture and demonstration
- Guided observation of student lessons
What is observation?
- Watching a student lesson taught by a master teacher
- Guided observation of teaching techniques and tools
- Written commentary/forms submitted and read by teacher trainer
- Detailed comments given to expand understanding of concepts
How do I take notes?
- Paper notebook or laptop computer
- Teacher trainer will give guidelines about content
What are the requirements to register for training?
- Take ECC! (Every Child Can)
- Join Suzuki Association of the Americas
- Piano proficiency demonstrated by video audition tape
- Registration with individual trainer or Suzuki institute
How much does teacher training cost?
- Varies with Institute and individual teacher trainer
- Check Suzuki Association website for institute fees
- Fees below are only approximations, expect that costs will vary
- ECC $130 or less
- Book 1 around $600
- Books 2-7 $325-600
Are there any scholarships for training?
- Suzuki Association of the Americas Scholarships
- your State Suzuki association (learn about yours here)
- your employer (many community or preparatory music schools offer training assistance)
How long are the training classes?
- Unit 1-8– days, 28 hours class, 15 hours observation
- Unit 2-7– 5 days,15 hours class, 8 hours observation
- SAA description of training requirements
Where are training classes located?
What is SAA?
The Suzuki Association of the Americas
- non-profit organization
- North, South and Central America
- goal is to make music education available to all children
- central hub for Suzuki teachers, parents, educators
- teacher development, scholarships, journal, job postings, conferences, retreats, workshop
- online resources, discussion, publications
- More about the SAA
Who can join the SAA?