The Suzuki Method
What is Suzuki Method?
- A philosophy of teaching that emphasizes development of ability and character through music.
- Special emphasis is placed on listening and tone production as well as development of the whole child.
How is the Suzuki Method different from other piano methods?
- Nurturing, loving and creative teaching
- Children encouraged to begin at a young age
- Attention to musicality from the first lesson
- Parents participate in musical development
- Celebration of accomplishment
- Daily listening to piano pieces
Who can take Suzuki piano lessons?
- Anyone who has an acoustic piano or digital piano in the home
What are the advantages of Suzuki piano?
- Joy in learning
- Self confidence and self esteem
- Development of ability and life tools
- Respect for Individual learning style and character
Do Suzuki students learn how to read music?
- Introduced at age and developmental appropriateness
- Thorough, systematic focus on mastery of note reading
- Supplemental repertoire
- Exploration of other musical styles
Suzuki Piano Lessons
When is a good time to start my child in Suzuki piano lessons?
- Any age
- Parents attend a short introduction to Suzuki philosophy and education
- Parents and child observe 2 lessons of students at similar age
Do I need a piano to take lessons?
- Yes, an acoustic or higher quality digital piano is necessary
What is a group class?
- Monthly class
- Integral part of Suzuki program
- Theory, ear-training, history in a fun group setting
- Performance etiquette
- Ongoing performance opportunity
- Musical community of peers
Suzuki Teacher Training
What is Suzuki teacher training?
- Extremely detailed study of elements of piano teaching
- Thorough coverage of all elements of teaching and running a studio
- Many observations of and discussions of master teaching
- Teaching tips and techniques: when and how to apply them
- Opportunity to join a supportive, intelligent, up-to-date educational community
What does Suzuki teacher training offer me?
- How to teach any child to play piano musically
- Guidelines for teaching piano at any level
- How to help students develop their abilities to the highest level
- New insights into your own piano technique
- Increased awareness of yourself as a teacher and musician
- How to start your own teaching business and run it successfully
- Practical pedagogy beyond that offered at the university level